We have recently seen some mobile websites that make it difficult for users to navigate and use. Our developers have listed a couple of Do’s and Don’ts for mobile websites listed below.
For more information please visit the Knowledgebase and look up the Answer number 843
- Do use well formed markup and keep page sizes below 10KB where possible
- Do optimize images for target devices
- Do cache your pages on the device if your site is not very dynamic
- Do use access keys and keep the amount of links you use less than 10 per page where possible
- Do minimize your use of free text boxes in favor of radio button and drop down lists
- Do test on emulators and real devices before going live, Device Anywhere is a good alternative if you do not have many real devices
- Don’t use frames they do not work on most devices
- Don’t use more than 3 redirects in a row, it will break the experience for some users
- Don’t use auto-refresh, it will cost more for your users to use your site
- Don’t use tables for layout, it will not display correctly on some devices.
- Don’t use popup windows, they do not work on mobile devices.
- Don’t use objects or scripts, most mobile devices do not support them
If you have come across some other Do’s and Don’ts please post your findings onto the Forums.